A Return to the Gorge. Stories behind my prints "Creation Falls 2", "A Serene Place", and "Red River Gorgeous."

The following story is the story behind my prints...




On a cold April day, I decided to thumb my nose at the weather, and return to a favorite area of my, The Red River Gorge. It was roughly a year ago that day when I was there and back then it was a high of 81 degrees that day and sunny.

This wasn’t one of those days.

It was struggling to make it to 50 degrees and a pale, drab, gray sky. The one thing about this trip I could say was good was that it had a 70% chance of rain, and I somehow escaped it. What made this trip unique was that this was the first time I was to visit this place alone. Since the skies were to remain gray, I decided to make this day trip one dedicated to waterfalls. There were a few waterfalls I knew about, and I made it my primary agenda too seek out these falls and shoot them.

With a slight drizzle on and off on the trip down, the threat of rain seemed to stop when I arrived there at the usual time it takes to drive down there, almost 2 hours even. Like I always do, I went to the usual small camping store to purchase my back country day pass. After I left the store, I turned onto route 77 which goes through the bottom part of Red River Gorge that eventually winds upward to the ridge area.

I started my trek along Route 77 specifically looking for an unnamed water fall located close to the roadway. Due to the recent rains, I knew I was going to see waterfalls with some good current cascading down. As I meandered through the serpent like road after several miles I finally spotted my first waterfall destination. This specific waterfall from the quick research I have done has no name. When I hiked there in my 20’s we used to use this waterfall as a shower, because the water is clean and cool. When hiking in 90 degree weather this waterfall revives you with an indescribable feeling of energy and cleanliness. Apparently we weren’t the only ones who used it as a waterfall due to the several bars of soap that were located at the bottom of the falls.

The below image and Etsy listing is of the first falls I shot. I call it “A Serene place” because of the feeling of serenity I always feel when seeing this waterfall.
After taking some shots of the falls located off of Route 77, I continued on the road to make my way up towards the ridge section of Red River Gorge on my way to the Rock Bridge Trail to shoot Creation Falls.

As I arrived at the Rock Bridge Trail parking area, I heard sounds of chainsaws. Several workers from The Department of Forestry were near the trail head sawing blow downs from trees that were damaged and knocked down from the ice storms from the previous winter. My concern that the trailhead was closed was relived when I saw the trail head open. I gathered my hiking and camera gear and began my way down the beautiful Rock Bridge Trail. Most of this trail is paved so it is a very easy trail to hike. I began my decent and noticed the steps carved into the sandstone.


This trail has to be one of the greenest trails in Red River Gorge. The Rock Bridge Trail is full of giant White Pines, Eastern Hemlocks, Oaks, and Cucumber Magnolia Trees. As I continued down the trail I could hear the loud rushing of water, knowing that Creation Falls was going to be larger than the last time I saw it. As I arrived at Creation Falls I was greeted with the magnificent waterfall roaring. My happiness then got somewhat hindered when I noticed a few trees blown down on top and in front of the falls. I however didn’t let it discourage me, and began shooting.




My Etsy listing Creation Falls 2 was taken. Below are both listings Creation Falls taken in April of 2008, and Creation Falls 2 in April of 2009 at almost the exact same spot. As you can easily notice the difference in amount of water falling.


After taking many shots of the falls, I continued along the trail to the Rock Bridge. Rock Bridge is a natural Arch that has actual water running through. This is apparently rare in the eastern United States.

I passed The Rock Bridge and stopped to take a few images on the end of it. Every time I am at this specific location I can’t help to take a picture of this Hemlock that winds against the bridge itself. The images below are of the tree and the end of the Rock Bridge. An amazing combination of trees and stone.I then made my way back up the trail and as I arrived to a viewing area I had to take another picture of the steps carved into the sandstone.


As I got to the top of this viewing area I scurried down a little unofficial trail which gave me a nice view of all the White Pines and Eastern Hemlocks. The view reminded me of pictures I have seen of the woodlands in Maine.


As I arrived back to my truck I felt good that I was able to get two at of three shots so far. My next destination was to shoot a known climbers area in an area of private land close to Natural Arch named Torrent Falls.

On my way to Torrent Falls I saw a sign advising of a lake called Mill Creek Lake, as I was passing I saw a another unexpected falls and a area of rapids. I backed up and pulled into the lot to take some images of this area.

After taking a few shots of this roaring falls and rapids, I continued to go to my next and final destination Torrent Falls. As I arrived at the falls I noticed a stunning horseshoe shaped canyon with a waterfall in the middle. The employees at Torrent Falls are very nice and allowed me full access to the canyon. They even offered me a helmet if I wanted to climb the ladders closer to the top. I politely declined accenting up the canyon because I had a heavy tripod and don’t really consider myself good at climbing.

I did however it a really nice shot of the canyon itself. The below pic is my etsy listing “Red River Gorgeous”. I call this print this because wants in the picture is everything in the Gorge I love. The sandstone walls, the large rocks, the evergreen trees, and the water. Unfortunately the falls is not in the below print.


After taking an overall picture of the area I approached the falls itself to take a few shots. It was tough to get the shot I wanted but was able to get a few images. I’m not overly thrilled with these shots, but it is what it is.




I considered the day a success. It didn’t rain and found a bonus waterfall I wasn’t expecting. I look forward to going down there again soon on a sunny day to get some good panoramic shots. This trip was another one I will remember, and am happy with the shots I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment