Old Man River. The story behind my print, "The Walking Trees."

The following, is the story behind my print "The Walking Trees" that is featured in my shop.


This story also features my prints, The 'ol Ohio, and Sycamores which were also taken at Fernbank Park and are also available in my shop.




Since I was a child I went to Fernbank Park along the Ohio River. This park has a lot of significance because it was where my grandfather first took my mother fishing when she was a child, where my stepfather shows his cars at car shows, and where I often take my son to run amok and play on their very nice playground. Even though you can't tell, both below images of my son playing, and the wedding picture were both taken at Fernbank Park.

















Fernbank park is located on the West Side of Cincinnati along the Ohio River. Years ago, Fernbank Park began falling into disrepair until Hamilton County took the park over as part of the Hamilton County Park District. With the county taking it over, they applied and received grants. The park is now a fantastic place to take your family, run, bike, fish, walk your dog(s), etc.

The area of the park has many sycamore trees around the park. It was winter when I took the below image, and I love how the whiteness of the bark of the trees contrasts well with the blue sky once converted to black and white.
Along a walkway that loops the entire area of a park is a small (unofficial) trail which leads down to the river itself. This area is a popular area for fishing because of a sunken barge at the waters edge that works as a good cover for fish. Because of it being at the waters edge and the rising and falling of the river level, the soil eroded around the trees exposing their roots. You would think this would damage the trees however, these trees have been here for many, many years, and have adapted to their environment.



Every time I am down there at that location of the park, I can't help to take many pictures of these unique trees. The following below pictures are from that area along the Ohio river.





The reason the following print is title "the Walking Trees" is because to me the trees look as if they uprooted themselves and are creeping along like a spider.




The one thing you can't help to notice is the level of erosion that has occurred over the years considering at one time the roots were covered with soil.
I love this park and see myself and my family enjoying it for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment