Crazy From the Heat. The story behind the prints "Canoes At The Waterfront" and "Bridge of Ferns."

The following story is how I shot both of my prints "Canoes At The Waterfront" and Bridge of Ferns."



Auguest of 2008 was a busy month. With a very frantic wife planning our wedding, once it came and went, we both were very anxious to enjoy our honeymoon. We honeymooned on Marco Island Florida which is a island a stones throw away from Naples Florida on the Gulf side. We had a week to enjoy and we both felt we did a pretty good job doing so.

One day we both took a some time to do our own thing. My wife enjoyed a day of shopping in the Naples area and I decided to do two things I enjoyed, hiking and taking pictures.

I have always been fascinated with the Everglades. The Everglades is a mere 20 minutes from the island, and after seeing one of my favorite photographers Clyde Butcher's work, I was dying to see the same area and take some images.

I dressed lightly for hiking. I don't think I really need to explain what the temperature is like in the Everglades in late Auguest. In case you don't know I can sum it up in three words, HOT and HUMID. I sprayed a lot of bug spray on me, grabbed some water, my small Fuji FinePix F-480 Point and shoot camera, and hopped in the rental car and did the quick drive into the Everglades on State Route 41. A few days previous we both drove on Route 41 which from Naples will take you right into Miami straight through the Everglades. We spent the day in South Beach, hated it, and returned right back to Marco Island. The one thing I did enjoy about the trek to Miami was the beautiful, and to me intriguing Everglades. So now by myself, I was about to enjoy the Everglades.

I unfortunately did not have all day so I was unable to really drive deep into the Everglades. I was however able to get a taste of it, and I found that taste at Collier Seminole State Park.


As I drove into the park, I paid a small admission fee, and found a place to park. After a few minutes of driving, I found a lake and parked in a area next to it. I place two water bottles in each side pocket and did a stroll around the lake. It was here where I found the reptile, a large reptile, that Florida is known for.


The above image does not do this gator justice. This gator was about 12 feet long. And I was about 30 feet from this fella until I realized he was well....30 feet from me. There are two things about Florida that amaze me, especially because I am a Ohio suburbanite.

1) Gators in Florida are usually not in a zoo, and there are no barriers between you and them.

2) Floridans casual nonchalant attitude and acceptance that these gators are just simply part of the whole package of the environment. (Note: This gator is in front of a lake that offers canoeing.)

After I took the above image, I respectfully backed away and continued in the opposite direction along the lake. As I was walking, I realized one major mistake I made. I did not bring nearly enough water. As a wedding gift, my wife bought me a nice watch that had a altimeter, compass, barometer, and thermometer. I was hot, and was curious to how hot it actually was. My watch said it was 102 degrees and the humidity was oppressive. Fortunately my interest out weighed my discomfort so I continued around the lake. As I approached around the corner I saw some yellow canoes upside down on sawhorses and took a few pictures of them.

The below picture is the unedited image that originally became my print Canoes On The Waterfront.


The Image below is my popular print Canoes At The Waterfront that is available for sale in my shop at http://www.12step.etsy.com/.



After taking the above image, I noticed a trail head into the treeline. I downed my first bottle of water and started my journey on the trail. It didn't take me long to realize that mosquito repellent is pretty useless against the ruthless Everglades misquotes. I found it best to NEVER stop walking for more than 5 seconds. Because the Everglades is a swamp, trails rarely are without boardwalks. About half of the trail was under water hence the requirement of boardwalks.



As I was walking down the trail, I was immediately drawn to a stunning display of ferns growing on a tree. Hot, thirsty, and being assulted my misquotos I hastely took many pictures of this fern coverd tree. Below, is the orginal image of my print titled, Bridge of Ferns.


The below image is the finished print Bridge of Ferns also available in my shop at http://www.12step.etsy.com/.





After taking pictures of this tree, I was out of water, hot, and developing a headache from the heat. I also had to get back to shower and take my new wife out to dinner. I wished I had more time to explore the fascinating environment of the Everglades, but I was grateful to have the experience. I look forward to going there again soon in the near future, with my new equipment, and MORE WATER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment